In an emergency a mobile phone is generally the fastest and easiest way to summon help. Your best chance of coverage is from a high spot such as a hill or lookout, but you are unlikely to ever get coverage in a canyon or gorge. If you don't have enough coverage to make a voice call and can't get to a high point, try to send a text message (SMS) as it often works with lower signal strength than is required for a voice call.
Use 000 if using a mobile phone or land line !!!
• 112 - the international standard for mobile phones - no longer has any advantages over 000 in Australia.
• 112 goes to the same call service as 000 and does not give your call a higher priority over 000
• 112 does not work from land lines - so always dial 000
• 000 and 112 calls cannot access the satellite phone system - it is a completely separate system
• 000 and 112 will not work where there is no coverage from any network